Table of Contents
While the world is struggling with the outbreak of Coronavirus and most countries are imposing quarantines and lockdowns on almost all facilities, Dubai is categorized as one of the safest cities to visit because it has successfully managed to provide a COVID19-free environment to its residents and visitors due to the strict COVID-19 rules and regulations implemented in this city.
Dubai residents and visitors are currently enjoying all the aspects of a normal life, the city is open for tourism, and constantly hosting events and activities taking into consideration all the health and safety measures and social distancing recommendations. So, tourists from all over the world are choosing to travel to Dubai in order to spend the best and safest times there.
Additionally, lots of Dubai residents have not been able to visit their home countries for months, but now as the infection rates are reduced, people are encouraged to travel again.
All these factors made Dubai International Airport one of the most crowded airports in the world at this period. As a result, people are sometimes spending more than 4 hours on checkpoints and queues of immigration, security, and COVID-19 PCR tests, which are all time-consuming procedures.
So, in this blog, airssist provides you with an overview of COVID-19 rules and regulations at Dubai Airport, some recommendations to reduce the time you spend at DXB, and all you need to know about the documents and tests you are required to have when flying to/from Dubai International Airport.
What Procedures Are Taken at DXB Immigration Checkpoints against COVID-19?
Immigration checkpoints exist in Dubai Airport to check the legal documents of the travelers who are entering the UAE. The immigration checkpoint is usually the first one a traveler goes through, before the security and customs checks.
The immigration procedures include scanning passports, visas, flight itinerary, and other requirements. For example, some travelers might be also asked to go through a retina scan, which is a scan of the eyes’ retina blood vessel patterns that are unique in every person.
These checks are applicable to both the arrival and departure sections and the procedures are usually lengthy, forming long queues of travelers. That is why Dubai Airport has recently installed Smart Gates to fast track the immigration procedures! You can also take your part in accelerating your airport journey by booking airssist Dubai Airport meet and greet services.
What Are Smart Gates and Where Can a Traveler Find Them?
Smart gates are currently located in all three terminals of arrival and departure at DXB to facilitate Dubai Airport procedures for UAE nationals and residents. Smart Gates offer smooth Dubai Airport immigration fast track services to provide a contactless process. Only two steps are required:
- Scan your passport photo and barcode.
- Step into the smart gate to finish the retina scan, if required.
That is all!
This process is usually over in a couple of minutes. It is worth to mention, that only first-time users will need to take one additional step after the retina scan, which is to register their documents with an immigration officer.
If you intend to make your airport trip even faster, book airssist Dubai Airport VIP service and enjoy our DXB concierge service.
What Procedures Are Taken at DXB Security Checkpoints Against COVID-19?
Security checks are one of the most important procedures taken in Dubai Airport to protect the safety of all travelers. Even though these procedures are time-consuming, but they cannot be overlooked. So, airssist offers some tips that a traveler can use to run the checks quickly, and as a result, avoid direct contact with other travelers for a long time.
Tips for Dubai Airport Quick Pass at Security Checks
- Keep your mobile phone, watch, wallet, keys, and such personal items in your handbag.
- Pack your laptop in a way that could be easily reached, as you will be asked to put it in a security tray for a scan.
- If you are wearing a belt with a metal buckle or shoes with high heels, take them off and place them in a scanning tray.
- Do not bring liquid containers unless they are less than 100ml, in this case, pack these containers in a resealable plastic bag and keep it in your handbag.
- Check the official website of Dubai Airport to learn about baggage regulations and prohibited items. You can also book our services which include Dubai airport assistance during COVID-19.
What Travel and COVID-19 Rules and Regulations Are Taken at DXB?
Dubai International Airport (DXB) has set several travel and test requirements for traveling to Dubai. These COVID-19 rules and regulations differ according to each traveler. Whether you are a UAE national, resident, or just a tourist, check the following regulations that apply to you:
COVID-19 Rules & Regulations at Dubai Airport for UAE Nationals
- UAE nationals do not have to undergo a COVID-19 PCR test before their flight to Dubai. Instead, they can take the test upon arrival at Dubai airport, regardless of their county of departure.
- UAE nationals are required to download and sign up to the COVID-19 DXB Smart App once they arrive at DXB.
COVID-19 Rules & Regulations at Dubai Airport for UAE Residents
- For UAE residents, the regulations may differ according to the country of departure. So, we recommend UAE residents to check with their airline for all the regulations related to their flight.
- When UAE residents arrive from specific countries, they must take two COVID-19 PCR tests. The first PCR test should be taken before traveling to Dubai, in no more than 96 hours prior to the flight departure date. It is important to undertake the test at an officially recognized testing center. On the other hand, UAE residents will take the second PCR test upon their arrival at the Dubai airport.
- UAE residents must present a negative COVID-19 PCR test in a printed document form when they arrive at DXB. Be careful, as handwritten documents are not accepted. Also, test results are accepted in Arabic or English only.
- Residents who are traveling from all the other countries should have one PCR test. The traveler may choose whether to take the test before travelling to Dubai or upon arrival at DXB.
- Dubai residents must have an approval from the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs before they return to Dubai airport. While the residents of other emirates must have their approvals from the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship (ICA).
- Similar to UAE nationals, residents also should download and sign up to the COVID-19 DXB Smart App.
- When departing from Dubai Airport, UAE residents shall follow the regulations of their destination country. Some countries may request travelers to take and present a PCR test before leaving Dubai Airport.
- Children under twelve years old and travelers with moderate or high disabilities are exempted from COVID-19 PCR testing requirements.
COVID-19 Rules & Regulations at Dubai Airport for Tourists
Tourism in Dubai was reopened on July 7, 2020. The city now welcomes tourists from all around the globe. To maintain the high levels of protection against the Coronavirus, there are some COVID-19 rules and regulations must follow:
- Before traveling, tourists should check with their airlines to inquire about their flight regulations, as these regulations differ according to the country of departure.
- Tourists visiting from GCC countries will undergo a mandatory PCR test when they arrive at Dubai Airport.
- Tourists from all other countries must take a PCR test before flying to DXB, in no more than 96 hours before the flight departure date, at an officially recognized center.
- Tourists visiting from specific countries may also be required to take a COVID-19 PCR test when they arrive.
- UAE tourists should present a negative COVID-19 PCR test in a printed document format once they arrive at DXB. Again, handwritten documents are not accepted. And the test results are accepted in Arabic or English only.
- Tourists shall download and sign up to the COVID-19 DXB Smart App when they arrive at DXB.
- Children under twelve years old and travelers with moderate or high disabilities who are visiting Dubai are exempted from COVID-19 PCR testing regulations.
if you think all those COVID-19 rules and regulations are confusing and hard to follow, you can always book airssist Dubai Airport meet and greet, our greeters are highly familiar with DXB COVID-19 rules and regulations, so they can assist you with these rule and guide you through the process for a quick pass VIP service.